In the beginning they were called "Congregation of Cayenne". According to their archives the "Portuguese Jewish Congregation of Suriname" was founded in 5422 (1661/1662). When Suriname was English territory, the Jews received important privileges from the Crown on August 17th 1665. These were re-affirmed by the Dutch, after Suriname was taken by Abraham Crijnssen in 1667. From 1665 to 1667 the first synagogue was build on the land of Baruch da Costa and Selomoch (de) Solis at Jodensavanna. The Kahal Kadosh (Holy Congregation) was called Beracha Ve Salom (Blessing and Peace). The K.K.B.V.S. was a "filiacao" of the Congregation of Amsterdam and followed the same rituals. The "College of Senhores do Mahamad" consisted in 1785 of 4 Parnasim and a Gabay (treasurer). The ex-members of the Mahamad were called "Adjunctos". They, and the College of the Mahamad, made-up the "Juncta", the governing board. The Mahamad acted also as their Court of Civil Justice. In the "Ashkamoth" (rules of the Congregation) of 1748 it was written that the assembly of the Senhores do Mahamad "como deputados" had the right of civil justice. In 1735 a dispute b, was finally settled by Resolution of the Directors of the "Societeit van Suriname". The synagogue Ne Ve Salom (House of Peace), build in 1719 (enlarged in 1780 to 200 seats for males and rebuild from 1833 to 1835 for _ 57.000) in Paramaribo was sold to the Ashkenazim in 1735, who paid _ 2.912 and 10 pennies. The Sephardim in the same year started to build their own synagogue in Paramaribo called Sedek Ve Salom (Justice and Peace). This building was for the Sephardim only a "Casa de Oracao".



CONTINUE

Page 3